If you plan on clipping your horse’s hair this year – our guide of the top best horse clippers can help you find the ultimate choice. Hair clipping doesn’t only leave your horse looking neat but also reduces excessive sweating, leaving them more comfortable and fresh.
Furthermore, horse clipping allows your horse to develop a better and glowing coat over the summer while significantly cutting down grooming time. Due to their thicker, longer, and oilier hair, horses require special clippers to provide the much-needed torque and power to tackle their stubborn coats.
So, check out our top 5 picks of the best horse clippers below to find what you need to groom and leave your horse healthy effectively.
1. Wahl Professional Animal KM10 Horse Clipper Kit
Whether you have a dog or a horse, the Wahl Professional Animal KM102 Horse Clipper works perfectly on their hair thanks to the innovatively designed removable blade. This KM10 detachable blade can work on all types of coats – allowing you to clip and trim the pet’s entire body.
A 1/16-inch blade has excellent compatibility, which allows you to pair it with other clipper models and brands. When it comes to operating the hair clipper itself, its brushless motor delivers a noiseless operation. The rounded front housing design prevents hair clogging.
Furthermore, the hair clipper features powerful dual speeds, i.e., 3000 and 3700 strokes per minute. Its constant speed control automatically provides more power and torque in more challenging areas. The hair clipper rests comfortably on your hands without causing any fatigue due to its light 12-ounce weight.
- Designed to work with different animals, including horses, dogs, cats, and livestock
- Two powerful speeds to choose from
- Brushless motor offers a quiet operation
- Rounded front housing prevents hair clogging
- Speed control feature adds more power automatically in areas that are challenging to clip and trim
- The plastic housing is not as durable
2. Wahl Professional Animal Cordless Clipper Kit
Integrating a cordless design, the Wahl Professional Animal Arco Clipper Kit allows you to focus on the task at hand rather than struggle with bulky wires. The hair clipper comes with a rechargeable battery. On a full charge, the clipper works on cordless run time for up to 80 minutes.
Additionally, it requires 75 minutes to charge it fully. However, it is its 5-in-1 design that will capture your attention. Its 5-in-1 design features five different blade sizes – #9, #10, #15, #30, and #40 – so you can enjoy convenience with different cutting lengths.
This versatility allows you to use the clipper to address hard-to-reach spots such as ears, faces, and paws. Furthermore, thanks to the different blade sizes, the hair clipper allows you to use it on small to large animals – be it horses, Shih Tzu’s, or terriers.
- Works on both small, medium-sized, and large animals
- The slim and lightweight profile fits comfortably on the hands to reduce hand fatigue
- 5-in-1 design with five different blade sizes
- The cordless operation prevents struggling with bulky wires
- Cordless run time of up to 80 minutes
- It can be loud while using it
3. Bonve Hair Clipper and Grooming Kit
The Bonve Hair Clipper And Grooming Kit features an upgraded design with six useful attachment guides for added functionality. The grooming kit comes with a pet clipper, grooming scissors, a steel comb, and six different sized guard combs.
The guard combs boast sizes ranging from 0.8mm to 2mm to meet various cutting lengths. An upgraded titanium acute and ceramic moving blade on the other end offers smooth and efficient performance, allowing you to adjust to your needs.
The adopted R-type blade design makes the clipper safer to use even on younger pets. The clipper stays at a low vibration and noise of fewer than 50 decibels, thanks to its ultra-quiet technology. This noiseless operation helps to keep your horse at ease when you are cutting their hair.
- Built-in 2200MAh Li-ion battery offers up to 10 hours of uninterrupted grooming
- S-shape clipper design gives it an ergonomic and comfortable fit to the hands
- Rubber grips for anti-slip performance for extended periods
- The superior rotating motor design offers optimum power
- Built-in quiet technology to prevent vibrations from scaring your pet during the hair cutting process
- Charging takes some time – up to 3-4 hours
4. Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Cordless Animal Clipper
If you are looking for an affordable grooming kit, the Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Cordless Animal Clipper is worth trying. The blades remain sharp, delivering snag-free cutting even through thick and heavy coats.
The hair clipper features a heavy-duty power drive motor, which greatly compliments the blades. The patented power drive cutting system allows you to easily cut through the thickest coats with twice as much power.
The hair clipper’s rechargeable battery has a run time of up to 2 hours on a full charge. This extended battery life allows for multiple grooming sessions before you need to recharge. Additionally, the grooming kit comes with extra essentials such as color-coded guide combs for easy coat length identification.
- 15 minutes quick battery charge
- Up to 2 hours of battery run time
- Self-sharpening carbon steel blades
- Color-coded guide combs for easy length identification
- Comes with a free comb, scissors, USB charger, and clipper cleaning brush
- Clippers don’t work with every type of hair
5. Wahl Professional Animal Motion Corded / Cordless Clipper
The Wahl Professional Animal Motion Clipper features a 5-in-1 high-grade steel blade design to cover different coat types and lengths. The blades feature #9, #10, #15, #30, and #40 cut lengths integrated into a single quick-change cutting system for added convenience.
A lithium-ion battery on the other end gives you a cordless run time of up to 90 minutes. Its LED multi-level battery indicator allows you to keep track of the clipper’s operation as it shares your charge status as you use it.
A removable finger grip offers excellent control and stability eliminating slips even with sweaty hairs. Its incredible motor power delivers a speed of up to 5500 strokes per minute, allowing you to cut through the most rigid and thickest hair coats.
- 5-in-1 blade design for different cutting length
- The high motor speed of up to 5500 strokes per minute
- Designed for trimming and clipping horses, cats, dogs, and livestock
- Traffic light LED multi-level battery indicator
- Constant Speed control feature to tackle tough spots
- Blades become bland over time
1. Can you use human hair clippers on horses?
Not really, a human hair clipper will not effectively cut horsehair. Horsehair tends to be longer, thicker, and oilier, thus, requiring more power and torque to cut through it. The best horse clippers come with more power to tackle stubborn horsehair.
2. What is the best horse clipper blade size to use?
Horse clipper blades come in various sizes depending on how short you want to cut the hair. Horse clipping blade sizes range from number 40, which cuts hair to 1/100 of an inch (fine cut), to blade number 3.75, which cuts hair to ½ an inch.
3. When’s the best time to clip a horse?
Generally, equine specialists advise that you clip your horse’s hair in October. During this time, the winter coat would have developed. You also want to gauge how quickly your horse’s hair grows to determine how often to clip it. Typically, horsehair requires clipping every two weeks, all the way towards the end of the year.
4. What hair length does a number 10 clipper blade leave?
A number 10 clipper blade leaves a hair length of about 1/16 of an inch, considered a medium length. Due to this, users find the number 10 blade best for trimming.
5. How do you determine clipper guard size?
Most clipper guard sizes are labeled or color-coded. The larger the shape, the larger the size will be. Additionally, larger-sized guards will leave longer hair while smaller sized ones leave shorter hair.